On Wednesday, I woke up with a very sore chest...like I had been runover. I thought it was just an abundance of milk, but after talking with my mom, she alerted me that this could be mastitis, which is an infection you can get from breastfeeding. Sure enough, after going through all my symptoms, that is exactly what I had. One of the really crappy symptoms of this infection is flu-like symptoms. I had a fever that peaked at 102. I was alternating between burning up and sweating and having uncontrollable chills. All this while trying to take care of a 3 week old by myself. Not fun.
So, I went to the doctor, and they prescribed me an antibiotic. Cure is on the way! Um...not so much. I ended up having a massive allergic reaction to the medicine, and breaking out in hives and itching out of my mind. Kenley ended up being SUPER fussy this day too, and was constantly wanting to be fed, or else she would just cry her eyes out. If only one of these things had happened in this 4 day span, I think I could have handled it...but to all come at me at once was truly a test of patience.
Now I am finally better, and Kenley has calmed down too. We chalked her fussiness to a growth spurt that babies usually hit around 3 weeks old. I've read that they hit these growth spurts sporadically, but mostly at 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months, and 6 months. So looks like we will have another one of these coming at us not too long from now. At least we now know what it is, and know that I just need to constantly feed her!
But after these trying days, we have had some really sweet days with baby K. Below is Mike playing with her on her Baby Einstein Ocean Playmat, which she took an interest in for the first time. They sweetly played for about 20 minutes before K was ready for the next thing.
Today we got a crazy ice/snow storm. We woke up at 4 am to a flurry of sleet. I still get excited to watch the news early in the morning to wait to hear if school will be closed. Lucky for Kenley and I, Mike's campus closed for the day, so we had a nice snow filled day together. Here's Kenley, sitting on the couch with her friend Zoe.
Mike's campus is closed again tomorrow because of the horrible weather. We aren't supposed to get above freezing temperatures until Friday! I will very much enjoy having another day a home with Mike to help me with Kenley!


OMG... you poor thing!!!! I'm soooo glad you are feeling better and that Mike gets to help with baby K for another day. ; ) xo
ReplyDeleteAnd for the record, when Kristin says "all this while trying to take care of a 3 week old by myself"...this is during 8am and 5pm readers. hahaha
ReplyDeleteKristin I'm so glad you're feeling better. I know I've said it before but truly am proud of you and Mike. I just love these pictures and my Zoe looks so adorable with Kenley. Things do get easier. Always know if you get overwhelmed, I'm just a plane ride away. Love you all!
ReplyDeletewow, Kris, I'm soo sorry! What a tough week. AND to get an allergic reaction to the meds! Thats horrible. I had the flu myself last week and dealt with high temperatures and chills--all i wanted to do was sleep, I couldn't IMAGINE trying to take care of a newborn at the same time! You are a rockstar!!! miss you!
ReplyDelete