The curtain project is FINALLY done! I had been mulling over fabrics to make my curtains for months now. I knew I wanted something feminine, in blues and greens to go with the room, but also a large scale print so they didn't look to busy. I also debated having the curtains sewn by people on etsy, which would have been quite pricey. I thought about maybe doing plain solid curtains, but ultimately knew I didn't want to compromise on what was to be the statement in the room. I wanted the curtains to be original and POP! So after going through numerous fabric samples, I finally found the perfect one, that coordinated with all the colors in our room and didn't clash with our very green glider.
I chose this fabric called Nest Dahlia by Valeri Wells. I was able to find a full bolt on etsy for $7 a yard, which was cheaper than the local fabric store. I ended up buying 15 yards to start with, hoping that I could get 8 panels out of it. Unfortunately, since I wanted floor to ceiling curtains, this proved to not be enough. So I had to splurge to the $9 a yard that it was selling for down at the Cabbage Rose fabric store.
As most of you know, I am NOT a seamstress. So, no, I did not sew these curtains. I took another cue from one of my favorite blogs Young House Love, and followed their no-sew curtain tutorial. This involved hemming all the edges of my curtain panels with Heat Bond Ultra Hold hem tape. I left the panels the same width as the bolt of fabric, as not to add anymore complications. Also, because the print is so random, I didn't need to line up any of the edges.
While I was handling this part, Mike proceeded to hang up all our curtain rods. A problem we had run in to early was the funky corner. We had to figure out a way to hang the rods so that the corner pieces fit together and we could hang the curtains from them. We ended up just trying to but the two edges together, and removing the finials (fancy word for those decorative end pieces!) Mike did a lovely job of making sure all our rods were level and spaced appropriately. Also, for extra safety, we made sure to use anchors in all the brackets, so even with a strong tug, those rods won't be falling down.
So, the final product turned out AMAZING! I have to say, the curtains really warm the room up and make it feel finished. Using two panels per window really looks sharp, and when the curtains are closed, they still look nice and drapey. With the addition of the blinds behind them, I think we can even get away without blackout liners. The rings that we used to hang the curtains make it super easy to open and shut them. Plus they provide a nice safety feature, if Kenley decides to yank on the ends of the curtains, they should unclip and safely fall on the ground without the rod coming down as well.
So now, we only have 2 more small projects to finish up. After those are done, I am going to do a big ol makeover reveal post and include all the small details. We should be completely ready for Kenley's arrival by Christmas...although we of course don't expect her until January! :)


i love it! the fabric is so pretty and I love the modern colors!!!!
ReplyDeletewow...beat Rochelle again! :)
you know whats cool too, is this will be an easy room to transition from "baby room" to "little girl room" without needed a whole lot of remodeling!
ReplyDeleteThe curtains are beautiful and I love the fabric too. Real cute Jaymi! I'm glad you are so thoughtful and are commenting...a true friend. I can't wait to see the nursery in person. Great job!
ReplyDeleteJaymi, I'm responding now so you don't beat me on Kristin's Tuesday post!
ReplyDeletebut, Mom you are responding under the old post...kind of defeats the purpose! haha
ReplyDeleteHello Kristin,
ReplyDeleteI am a fellow knottie from the Hawaii board. Today was the first time I've viewed your blog and I LOVE the way your nursery came out. I live in Orange County, Ca, and I was wondering where you purchased your glider/recliner from. I believe I read somewhere in Newport Beach?? I've been looking for it so I can see it in person, with no luck. Any info you may have will be greatly appreciated! If needed, my e-mail is littleteaa@aol.com.
THANK YOU!!