I guess I will start from our flight out to California, because I definitely think the universe was trying to tell us something. Our flight to LAX was totally full, and I always have to sit in the middle seat. I had a feeling I might be sitting next to some big dude that would steal my armrest. Funny enough, who walks up to our row, was a tiny little 6-year old boy that was flying by himself. Mike and I kind of laughed to each other, knowing that we were going to be parenting this kid throughout this 3 hour flight. The universe's way of telling us "Great ready!" But the little boy was so cute. His name was Nyle, and this was his first solo flight. After talking with him for an hour, Mike handed over his iPhone so the kid could play games. Luckily, this kept his attention for the rest of the flight. Just a funny little coincidence on our way to find out if we were having a boy or girl.
So, our awesome hosts, Andy and Staci pick us up for the fun to begin. I spent the day on Friday getting my hair done (always a necessity/luxury when I go to CA) and shopping with Mike and the in-laws. Rochelle took me to get some maternity clothes, which are the best things ever! I should have took the plunge sooner. We also did a little shopping for Baby W, but couldn't go crazy not knowing what kind of stuff to buy.
Finally, Saturday came, the big day! We spent most of the morning and afternoon, preparing for the party. Staci made all these really cute onesies and beautiful pom poms, and pulled out all our surfboards for our surfer theme party!
We then got to making all the yummy appetizers and snacks for the party. We had steak and chicken kebobs, mini-mozzarella salads, a variety of dips, and much more. And it was all delicious!
Then came party time! Everyone looked so cute, arriving in the color that they thought Baby W would be. The Blues barely outnumbered the Pinks, it was really pretty close.
![]() |
| Team Pink (with Mike's vote) |
![]() |
| Team Blue (with my vote) |
![]() |
| The whole gang! I pretty good turn out! Then the big moment of truth! We couldn't wait any longer, so we gathered everyone to cut the cake. |
That made the surprise of seeing the pink filling inside even wilder! I was COMPLETELY SHOCKED, as evidenced on my face! And as much as Mike was pulling for a little girl, even he was surprised that he had gotten his wish!
| The proof is in the cake! |
I also edited together the video we had of the moment, so everyone can see it all again.
Now with multiple camera angles and a super cool soundtrack!
All in all, it was a wonderful party and such a cool way to find out. I could never wait until the baby is born, so this is a fun way to keep the surprise element but not wait too long! We want to thank all our friends and family for joining us for this very cool occasion. You all mean so much to us, and we loved sharing it with you. And a special shout out to Staci and Andy, who not only let us crash at their place, but they did so much for this party, we honestly can't thank them enough. You guys are AWESOME!To finish this mega post, I just thought I would post some random and favorite pics from the rest of the party!
![]() |
| Finkle knew all along! |
![]() |
| Food Baby vs. Real Baby |
| Real mean wear PINK! |
![]() |
| Girls in BLUE |
![]() |
| Our Little Girl in the Curl! |











aww great pics and great post! that video still makes me tear up!
ReplyDeleteis the edited video you made on youtube? i want to show my mom :)
ooo that video is perfect!!! We had sooo much fun with you guys, miss you so much and cant wait to meet little Kenley. eekk. =)
ReplyDeleteJaymi you were reading my mind... Is it on youtube? I want to show my mom too! hehe
Hey girls,
ReplyDeleteI just reposted the video in HD format, through Youtube. I think if you click on it within this post, it will take you to the Youtube version that you can share
i also figured out you can just send the link to this post! you dont have to be logged in to view it.
ReplyDeleteKristin--i remember a lot of fabrics you were looking at for the nursery were blue and green--have you had any new thoughts about it since learning that your having a little girl?
Man, I have watched that video about a dozen times and I still cry every time! So very happy for you both! And I love the name Kenley - very original. Where did you hear of it?
ReplyDeleteAlso, where did the surfboard come from, if you didn't know if it was a girl or boy?! Is that your board Kristin?
Staci, have you thought about making party planning a career? You did such an amazing job, as usual.
ok, just figured out the surfboard thing.
ReplyDelete@ Kristy: Yeah, that is my surfboard. Both of my boards are from a shop called "Girl in the Curl" so that's their logo. I thought it would be cute for a picture opportunity!
ReplyDeleteAnd Kenley came from wanting a K. V name. My grandmother, mom and I are all K V's, so that narrowed down the choices we liked alot. Kenley Vi just had a nice ring to it.