Email Instagram Facebook Pinterest YouTube RSS Feed Google+

Monday, October 04, 2010

Weekend Warriors: Dress You Up in My Love

Welcome to another addition of Weekend Warriors. This weekend, we were able to balance our projects with some relaxing mixed in. It was a pretty easy-going weekend, that I'm kinda surprised how much we actually got done. We were able to get 2 projects done and had some friends over for the Texas-OU game, as well as a pretty relaxing Sunday as well.

We stopped by our favorite store on Friday night to pick up the closet organizer for Kenley's room. I knew if we could get started on the closet that night, we could finish it up before our guests came over to watch the game that next afternoon. So as soon as we got home, we started demoing the closet. This didn't take too long as we just had to removed the shelf and bar that was previously in there, as well as removed all the clothes. This closet was just as dingy and gross as our master, so I knew that we needed to paint it. Thankfully, we have a whole can of the blue paint that is on the walls of the nursery. We love being able to work with what we got, so Mike got started right away with beautifying our closet.

After that, we started constructing the base of the organizer. This was fairly easy, because we got the exact same organizer that we had put in our closet. We were able to get it all secured to the wall before midnight, with just the bars left to install the next morning.

So the next day we were up and at em. We decided to do 3 bars on one side, to accommodate the little clothes, and 2 bars on the other, so Mike would still have room to hang his clothes that wouldn't fit in our master closet. Basically, we can use this space for our out of season clothes. We were able to get all the bars and shelves in with time to spare for our football game celebration. Here are the before and afters...


Everything looks so cute on the shelves now. We still have some storage to put in the room, so this makes it easy to display our stuff so far. Also, we added a great basket on the bottom shelf that slides out, where we can keep extra toys or blankets, a perfect stash spot. 

It was so nice to be able to get this project done before 11am, and we had the rest of the day to enjoy the game with friends over snacks and grilling up so brats and chicken. Sadly, Texas lost AGAIN, but we had so much fun with our friends, that if made the defeat a bit better. 
The next day, we had nothing to do, so we thought we would do some shopping and see if we could find a dresser or accessories for Kenley's room. Our travels took us to Homegoods, Marshall's and eventually IKEA. Now the IKEA in Texas is 45 minutes away, so we knew if we were going to travel all that way, we were definitely walking out of there with some furniture. And that we did. We ended up getting the dresser I originally wanted, even though it might be a bit too tall, it was just the perfect look, and storage that we wanted for the room. We also got some bookcases, but those have yet to be built. Here are some pictures of the building process, which actually went pretty smoothly.
Below,  I am displaying our lovely diaper drawer. I love that the top has the 4 small drawers, because they will be perfect for stashing our diaper supplies. We are going to put the changing pad on top of the dresser, so that way everything will be right on hand.
 The drawers in the picture to the right can now hold all our onesies and sleepwear. I put all our stuff in the drawer to the right. The drawer to the left is FILLED with stuff that my best friend Mary gave us to use for Kenley. This is the great part about having a friend that already has a little girl. Mary gave me a BAG FULL of onesies, sleepers, and cute little outfits to borrow for Kenley. And this was only the 0-3 month stuff! Such a good friend to let us use her stuff! I'm keeping in a separate drawer so I can keep track of what's hers and what's ours.
And the finished project in the room. I LOVE the way the dresser looks. We are able to have ample space for Kenley's clothes, and we are able to use the bottom 2 drawers for our overflow clothes.

So with the addition of the dresser, and the bookcase that I will build tonight, we are almost done with all the furniture. The glider should be on the way, and then I'm still contemplating the window seat, which I may move over to the other set of corner windows now. It's all coming together!






  


3 comments:

  1. Wonderful job guys! Loved the dresser and closet organizer. I just sent Kenley a piggy bank with her name on it. Nordstroms said you can still bring it back even though they put her name on it. Just take out the money first that I put inside. The tag is on it. Keep up the great work but rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so impressed!! Can't wait to see ya'll Christmas. Love MOM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soooo, Mike has half of a closet now? Hows he taking it? LOL

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...